National Women's Health Week: Self Care is Up to You
15 May 2018
Whether you are a woman reading this, or you have women in your life that you care about, you probably know that putting ourselves first isn’t something that we women are very good at. Mothers, grandmothers, sisters, wives, boss ladies…we all have something in common, we’re worried about the needs of everyone else before our own. That’s why, during this National Women’s Health Week (May 13-19, 2018), we’re encouraging women everywhere to take a moment to do something for themselves.
Whether you’re caught in an endless cycle of carpooling and soccer practice, or putting in 60 hours a week on the job, we know how easy it is to use the “I just don’t have time” excuse when it comes to self-care. We also know that it’s just that – an excuse. The list of things that you can do to improve your health and/or quality of life in just 30 minutes a day, is extensive. Here are a few things you can do in 30 minutes (or less) that will help boost your mood and make you happier and healthier:
1. Raise your activity level. The benefits of exercise are far reaching and well-documented. In as little as 30 minutes you could be reducing your risk for heart disease, releasing feel-good endorphins, blasting fat, and improving your energy levels and overall quality of life.
2. Take a walk outside. Research suggests that light stimulates brain chemicals that improve mood. For an extra boost, get your sunlight first thing in the morning.
3. Reach out. Send an e-mail to a friend you haven't seen in a while or reach out to someone new. Having close bonds with other people is one of the most important keys to happiness. And you know your parents already think you don’t call enough, make their day by calling just to say hello.
4. Rid yourself of a nagging task. Deal with that insurance problem, purchase something you need, or make that long-postponed appointment with the dentist. Crossing an irksome chore off your to-do list will give you a rush of elation.
5. Create a more serene environment. Outer order contributes to inner peace. Spend some time organizing bills and tackling the piles in the kitchen. A large stack of little tasks can feel overwhelming, but often just a few minutes of work can make a sizable dent. Set the timer for 10 minutes and see what you can accomplish.
6. Do a good deed. Sign-up to volunteer at a community event, donate to a charity that you love, or deliver some gratifying praise. All of these things are good for you and they benefit others as well. Speaking of which…
7. Save someone's life. Sign up to be an organ donor, and remember to tell your family about your decision. Do good, feel good―it really works!
8. Act happy. Fake it 'til you feel it. Seriously! Research shows that even an artificially induced smile boosts your mood. Listen to a favorite comedian or watch a cute puppy video online if you need a little help turning that frown upside down.
9. Learn something new. Think of a subject that you wish you knew more about and spend 15 minutes on the internet reading about it, or go to a bookstore and buy a book about it (yes, those do still exist!) In order for it to work, you have to pick a topic that really interests you, not something you think you "should" or "need to" learn about.
An excellent way to treat yourself, AND have the best interest of your loved ones in mind, is by giving yourself the gift of a healthy, happy life. Taking care of your mind and body with regular exercise is a great way to do just that. And before you use that excuse that we mentioned earlier, you should know that all you need is 30 minutes, three times a week at 9Round to achieve your health and fitness goals.
Approximately 70 percent of 9Rounders are female. Why is that? Because we understand how busy your life is and we provide fast, fun, effective workouts with no class times so that we fit into your life instead of the other way around. Whether you are 18 or 88, 9Round workouts are tailored to your fitness level and come with a trainer to guide and encourage you every step of the way. Take time for you and get in to 9Round to try a session for FREE today!